Thursday, February 6, 2014

Theme Thursday: Church Windows

I'm not a Theme Thursday player, although I read many of the posts that participate in that linkup over at Clan Donaldson (including Cari's of course, even though I'm sure I'd be on her "out" list if she knew about me, since I live in sunny Mexico!).

However, with Church Windows being the theme this week, and one of my favorite things in life being the Window behind the altar at our church, I have to share it with you all.

(click on the photo to get an enlarged image). It's got 12 stars (from the image in Revelation 12) - one at the end of each tongue of fire - and rosary beads encircling the niche. There are roses and lilies at the bottom, and over all, the most wonderful depiction of the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove, hovering over the "M" from the Miraculous medal and overshadowing all these references to Mary. At night the window is lit from behind, so attendants at the daily mass (held in the evenings) receive the special gift of seeing this window in a glorious burst of color, illuminating the whole area around the tabernacle.

The statue in the niche is Our Lady of the Pilar/Nuestra Senora del Pilar, which is the name of this church (although the parish is Santa Rosa de las Palmas).

4 comments:

  1. I love the contrast of the brilliant blue and yellow and red!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beauty is in its simplicity. Just the right combination and number of shapes, colors, and stories. It is easier to feel peaceful when beholding something simple. Great photo; thanks for posting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcia, I hadn't thought about it like that, but you're absolutely right. So many church windows are much more complex in design - beautiful in their own right - but this window shows Mary's simplicity and humility.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know your thoughts!